Welcome to Words from Willow Pond

Willow Pond is the home of Deb and husband, Ian, their three adult children, Jossy, Kimmy & Dylan, Joss' husband, Chris, two lippizzaners, Dutchy & Obie, an Old English Sheepdog called Mitzi, the cutest Cavoodle ever, called Oscar, two orphaned Ringtail Possums, named Tamigotchi and Saori, two brush tail orphans, named Penny and Sheldon and other resident ringtail and brush tail possums and many geckos and frogs. Otis our rainbow lorikeet, whom we looked after for over 11 years, finally flew the coop and is enjoying the freedom of the skies.

Deb and her family have lived at Willow Pond for the past fourteen years.

Deb & Ian can sometimes be found down by the willow tree on a hot afternoon sharing a cold beer after spending the day gardening and mowing lawns.

Deb & Ian planted a young Willow tree about ten years ago down near their pond in the back paddock, and it has grown into a very fine specimen. They have since planted four more Willow saplings, which are growing well. The Willows inspired Deb to name the property Willow Pond. It is their hope that native wildlife will find shelter and a haven here like the characters from the children's classic, Wind in the Willows.

Deb enjoys creating ideas and writing here at Willow Pond. She intends to dedicate this blog to the adventures at Willow Pond with her family.

If you have found us by accident, or intentionally, then - Welcome and thank you for dropping by. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Joy of Raising Orphaned Possums

Back in September this year, I was asked to raise two little orphaned brush tail possums. I was delighted to be asked, but decided to wait before blogging and in my last possum update I promised I would blog about these little guys separately. Things have been going well with them and I feel confident now to share a little bit about the experience so far. So, firstly, I'd like to introduce you to... Penny and Sheldon.
Sheldon
Penny

They have come a long way since they first arrived. It has been a very busy year for me taking care of four baby possums, working and fitting in family life. I also have experienced some health issues this year, so I haven't always been able to get back to update my blog and capture the wonderful moments that we've experienced this year. But, I think I'm well and truly back to normal and now that the holidays are here, it is the perfect time to update everyone who is interested. Thanks to those who have commented on my blog previously. You know it makes the writer happy that someone has, not only read what I've written, but took the time to drop a quick line of encouragement. I know this writer really appreciates it. I'm not writing this for any sort of recognition though. This is purely a place for me to practise my writing and technology skills and write down my experiences living here at Willow Pond. But even still, it is nice to know I am not always alone. So, thanks guys - you make me smile.

Raising Penny and Sheldon has been a totally different experience compared to Tamigotchi and Saori. Penny and Sheldon grew very quickly and did not spend very long in their little basket, or the cocky cage. Here are some pictures of the transition from inside accommodation to outdoor accommodation.








I used the cocky cage as the next step in the transition from indoor life to outdoor life. The brush tails only spent a couple of weeks in here because they grew so quickly. They were each given a pouch to sleep in, however, they always climbed into the same pouch to curl up and sleep, wrapped tightly around each other. I added lots of fresh leaf tips daily to supplement their diet of Divelact (special dietary formula) and, at this stage, they were also enjoying some chopped fresh fruit.

I continued to prepare the other side of the aviary for these little guys, which included making another dome home. I made a dome home for Tamigotchi and Saori as well, which proved to be a huge success. The dome home I made for the ringies was the first time I'd ever had a go at something like this and I did not know how it would go, or, if indeed it would work. I didn't attach the top of the dome to the chain and as a result, the first time the ringies climbed up on top, the roof collapsed. I thought this was a disaster, until I realised that they had just added their own touches and now, according to Tami and Saori, it was perfect. The ringies love to collect leaves and twigs to make a drey, and now the dome home was perfect for this. You can see from the photo below just how they have added their touches.

For the dome home that I made for the brush tails, I attached the coconut husk dome top to the chain so that even if the brushies climbed up on top, it would keep its shape. It worked out perfectly. I also cut a little doorway into the husk so they could come and go as they pleased. This shape of dome home turned out to be perfect for the brushies because they have grown much larger and they sleep either curled up together or lean back into the round shape of the dome and use it like a big armchair. Because there is the little doorway, I can take a sneaky peek at them sleeping when I am preparing their new fodder and fruit. There is absolutely a stack of room inside each of these homes for the possums. It is also very cosy in there and I love the smell of coconut husk that you can smell in their fur. Here are some photos of the the dome homes.
Tami & Saori's drey
Penny & Sheldon's dome home

Penny and Sheldon have been happily sharing the aviary with Tamigotchi and Saori. Each species has their own separate enclosure and I have added climbing ropes and branches to make it interesting and as natural as possible. I have allowed some of the old fodder to build up on the floor of the aviary so that it emulates a natural bushland. Ian helped me put some large branches and parts of trees inside the aviary so that they get a real taste of life in nature. Here are some photos of the special, custom-made aviary that we had made especially for these little guys.
Tami & Saori's side without foliage
Penny & Sheldon's side without foliage

These are early photos of when I was setting up the aviary. There is no foliage in the aviary as yet.

Climbing frames, high ropes & trees



It is important to make each area interesting and challenging for them so that they grow and gain strength and agility for climbing.

Below are some photos that will show you where these possums are today. All possums are fully weaned now and Saori and Tamigotchi are getting very close to the next stage in their journey ~ their release.

Sheldon having a drink - lapping

Penny and Sheldon won't be too far behind them, although they are still quite young and have more growing to do.


These little guys are so affectionate and friendly and love their life I am sure. My husband, Ian, already suspects that there will be lots of tears and mixed emotions when the time comes for these guys to go out into the wild. I think he is right, but in my heart I know that I will have done everything that was possible to ensure these babies have had the best start in their life, considering their bleak circumstances from the very beginning. I hope that I've been a good surrogate mum and that I haven't made too many mistakes along the way. I know that I'll be happiest if they survive the hazards but, unfortunately, there are no guarantees. It has been an absolute joy for me to raise these little critters and do I have any regrets? None! 

Enjoy the rest of the photos.
Penny enjoying some fruit & nuts






Penny
Tamigotchi & Saori

Enjoying their fruit & flowers
Saori coming out to play - Tami eating (still)

Saori (left) - Tami (right)

Ready for some action

Swinging in the trees

Exploring




















































































No comments:

Post a Comment